16 week scan

Hi everyone,

I am writing to you from my sick bed. I have finally succumbed to the various diseases floating around my school. Nothing too serious I think, I woke up with a stuffed up head, sore throat and low grade fever but my boss advised me to stay home and rest up. I hope it doesn’t morph into something more serious.

While we’re on the topic of colds I forgot to mention before the aggressive sneezing I have been experiencing since I got pregnant. I sneeze a lot normally but since little Squirt took up residency my sneezes have been elevated to another level. Whereas before I was able to daintily muffle my sneezes now I make everyone in the vicinity jump and spray them with snot and spit to boot. It’s gross to have to wipe that off your leg, even if it’s your own. I also now have to hold my tummy so I don’t feel as if I’m going to tear into two. Thankfully thus far my bladder has remained strong but if Squirt keeps going at this pace I might have to be adding Depends to my sexy pregnancy get up. Must do more Kegels.

 

So we went to the new hospital a few days ago for my advised 16 week scan. I somehow accidentally booked myself into the wrong branch but the kind nurses were able to fit me into the one I turned up at really quickly (read under 1 hour) so all was well. That is to say all was well for me. I had entered my ‘docile as a domestic cow because I’m about to see my baby’ higher state, whereas WW was sick and PMSing and not at all impressed with much that day. So I smiled and laughed at my stupidity when the nurses told me I’d booked the wrong hospital, WW rolled her eyes at me. I smiled and hummed while the doctor ignored me to speak to WW. I listened calmly as the doctor inquired if WW was my friend and WW replied ‘no’. I twiddled my thumbs happily during the awkward pause. I gazed at the adorable photos of babies adorning the walls while more questions were asked. I smiled again while a frustrated WW asked me how she should explain to the doctor that we were ‘partners’. I matter-of-factly informed the doctor that we were married in the UK and lapsed once more into silence as this apparently bizarre fact was digested. I then went to the ultrasound room and lay on the bed still smiling while WW began to angrily question why we were not allowed to film the scan or take our own pictures. I calmly waited until the nurse had backed off to readjust my trousers so my pubic hair was no longer on show. I found more cute baby pics to marvel at as WW answered more questions from the nosy doctor about sperm. For once we switched roles and I stayed happy while WW fumed.

It is a shame we couldn’t share the scan, it was amazing. The baby is so huge now, absolutely no trace of gummy bear remains. We watched it wriggle and kick me in the placenta repeatedly. It stretched, letting us count five fingers as it rubbed its nose. The doctor was very non-verbal, not at all like Dr W, mostly giving us fairly useless comments about how cute it was. Of course it’s cute, it’s our baby. She told us it was very active which was a good sign, and that it had very long legs like its mother. I was actually 16 weeks and 4 days but the scan said 17 weeks 3 days. Nothing was said about that or my weight gain (4.5 kg to date, although DR W messed up and wrote the wrong starting weight on my transfer sheet so as far as the hospital knew I had gained 13 kg). I stupidly asked if she could tell the gender yet which led to half an hour of searching and no more information about anything else. And after all that searching did we finally get an answer? Of sorts: 70% chance we spotted a wee penis, 30% chance we spotted a kind of large clitoris. More definite answers next month

.

All in all we miss Dr W but with the clinic so far away and slap bang in the middle of the protests we are not willing to return. We shall put up with our disappointing and more expensive hospital and hope we grow to like them more. I wasn’t enthralled with Dr W’s place to begin with and certainly the wait times at the hospital seem less excessive so far, so we’ll see. I just hope hope hope I can make it all the way and avoid giving birth there. I don’t think I’ll be able to do my domestic cow impression during the birth!

TTFN XX

PS Ultrasound pics after the jump

IMG_1462[1]

Advertisements

7 thoughts on “16 week scan

  1. I love reading your posts! So glad you’re doing great and you got to see your baby again. Unless we want to pay ourselves sick at private clinics for ultrasounds, we only get the two: at 12 weeks and at 20 weeks. I’m about to write a half-way mark post, in fact 🙂

    • Yes we pay too, 71 gbp for the last, around 80 for the 20 week 4D scan. We arent really given an option not to. In fairness it’s like meditation plus massage plus an awesome natural high for me so Id probably pay regardless…

  2. I’m really enjoying reading your blog! I’m 17 weeks along and it’s lovely to see your scan pic as we don’t have a scan at 16 weeks on the NHS (they just listen to the heartbeat), so my baby must look pretty similar right now.

    • Thanks, I enjoy yours too. It’s weird how many of the same cravings and symptoms we’ve had plus thanks for the UK travel tips. Hopefully I’ll be using them in a few months. I’m really glad for the monthly scans, I’d get really anxious otherwise.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s